The popular family day returns with hands-on activities and demonstrations along with Planetarium shows and story times.
Download a pdf version of the day's programme, which include timings and venues inside the NLO. Check the website for any last minute changes.
- Space Detectives with Jo Richardson: Enjoy a Virtual Reality Space Experience with the Space Detectives! Using their new 4K Virtual Reality Headsets you can take a trip to the stars, shows last roughly 5 to 10 minutes. The VR system is suitable for all ages.
- Science Boffins: Join an awesomely enthusiastic Science Boffin for some Interactive science experiments for all ages. Explore science in madcap ways that will thrill children and teach them that the brilliance of science can be seen in everything around them. Activities include anything from rocket launches to squishy slimy stuff!
- Sciencedipity: 12 noon and 2pm - Bringing the intriguing world of chemistry to life with interactive science show. Chemical reactions, reversible/irresible changes, states of matter, acids/alkalis, pH, lab safety, atmospheric gas, scientific vocabulary, lab equipment, observations, working scientifically, science careers
- Exeter School - physics
- Reaction Time machine
- Jet Car Build and Race: Race at 15.00
- Space Exe
- History walk around the Observatory
- Telescopes - Lockyer, Kensington, Connaught
- Helicopters - how they work by Leonardo Helicopters
- Blue Streak rocket displays: A fascinating display showcasing Britain’s early attempt at joining the space race and building a suitable rocket capable of launching satellites into space.
- IOP - Moon and Mars
- Planetarium shows
- Story telling in the Planetarium: Mike O’Leary regales us with fantastic tales of heroism and treachery. Learn the legends and stories which will bring the night sky to life!
- Sid Valley Radio
- Janet Dowling - Constellation workshop: Join the dots from the night sky map to make your own shapes and then Janet will help you tell the story of your 'new' constellation. Suitable for +6years to adults! Stretch your imagination muscle!
- Dr Des Howlett: Are we alone?
Jaspers Catering will be on site, providing food, drinks and snacks.
Entrance fee: £10 per adult. Children free. Payment at the door or book in advance - see button on the top right of this page.
The entrance fee covers all the events on the site on the day.